Insert a chart quickly
Using the the Charts Wizard button
- Select the data you want to include in the chart
- Press the charts wizard button and you will get a dialog box containing the different charts
- Choose a chart type
- Click “Next” (Next)
- You can see the various subtypes
In the last dialog box you can choose between:
- The chart in a new worksheet
- The chart as an object in the worksheet where you are working
You can do this even faster with the function key F11
Select the data you want to include in the graph
The standard graph is drawn on a new worksheet
- If you wish to change the layout of the chart later, press the RIGHT mouse button on the chart, and you will get a dropdown menu in which you can change all settings, even the location of the chart.
- If you do not want to include some columns in the chart, you must select the columns with the Control key.
- In case you want the chart on a new worksheet, press ‘insert’ (Insert) .In the menu bar choose ‘Chart’ (Chart) and go through the various dialog boxes. The last dialog (chart location) select “as new sheet”(As new sheet).
- Any number changes in the worksheet will be automatically adjusted in the chart.
Changing Chart Data
To modify a chart, you need to activate it, there is a difference between activating a chart and selecting a chart.
Selecting a chart. You can do this by clicking on it once, then there will appear blocks on the chart frame, click anywhere outside the chart frame and the selection is canceled.
You can resize the selected chart using the blocks on the edge.
You can move the chart by clicking and dragging in the chart with the left mouse button.
You can also delete the selected chart by pressing the ‘delete key’ button.
A chart activated by double clicking on it.
A dialog box appears with three tabs where you can change the format of the chart.
You can insert text or drawing objects using the drawing toolbar:
You can see the different numbers per month by pressing one button, you can select a data column by clicking on it again.
You can remove columns of data in the chart by pressing the Delete key.
You can add columns of data in the chart by selecting them in the worksheet and dragging them to the chart, if the chart is located in separate sheet, use the ‘Copy’ (Copy) And ‘Paste’ (Paste) buttons in the toolbar.
As mentioned above, with the click of the RIGHT mouse button you can change the format of the chart.
Combined chart types
In Excel ’97, we have two types of charts that can be used if the differences between the Y-axis and the X-axis are too high, for example:
Due to the large difference between the number of computers sold the amount, the number of computers sold can not be seen in a simple chart.
In Excel ’95, this data overflowed from the chart and in Excel ’97, it is a big improvement.
- Click on the ‘Chart Wizard’.
- Click on the ‘Custom Types’ (Custom Types) tab.
- You have two options: Line-Column on 2 axes (Line-Column on 2 Axes) Or ‘Lines on 2 Axes” (Lines on 2 Axes).
- Make a choice for all components and press ‘Finish’ (Finish).
News is that you own the data table in the chart sheet to record.
The Doughnut diagram
The Sales 98 table shows sales results by quarter and the monthly results.
We want this information in two adjacent ring diagrams:
- Select the quarterly data
- Click on the ‘Chart Wizard’
- Choose the Doughbut (Doughnut) chart type
- Click ‘Next’
- Click on the “Series in Columns” (Series in Columns) in the Data Range tab
- Click ‘Next’ (Next)
- Remove the checkmark for “Show legend” (Show legend) in the ‘Legend’ (Legend) tab
- Click ‘Next’
- Click OK (Finish)
- Now select the months
- Press ‘Copy’
- Select the chart
- Select ‘Paste Special” (Paste Special) in the Edit menu (Edit) from the menu bar
- and choose ‘New Series’ (New Series) in the dialog
- and click OK
- Click the right mouse button on the quarters doughnut diagram
- Choose ‘data series format” (data series Format)
- Choose the “options” (Options) tab
- Decrease the ring size
- Select the “Data Labels” tab
- Select ‘Show label and percent”
- Click OK
- Click with the RIGHT mouse button on the donut diagram with months
- Choose “Data Series Format”
- Select the “Data Labels” tab
- Select ‘Show value’
- Click OK
Print worksheets with charts
Before printing the worksheet, first have a preview, to save us time and paper.
- Click the “Print Preview” button in the toolbar
- To see more details click the magnifying glass at a certain place in the preview
- You can see if all the columns and charts on a page can be printed
- Click “Setup” (Setup) if this is not the case
- In the dialog box, choose “Page Setup” (Page) in the ‘page’ tab:
1. Determine orientation (landscape or portrait) (Landscape – Portrait)
2. Reduce upto 10% or increase upto 400%
3.The number of pages in the worksheet to print
4.To determine the paper size (letter, A4…)
5.Print Quality (the higher the resolution the better)
6. Page numbering to start at a number other than 1
To set “header and footer ‘ (Header / Footer)
You can use either the built-in settings or create your own headers and footers.
Headers are repeated at the top of each page.
Footers are repeated at the bottom of each page.
- Click the “custom header” button.
- You get three boxes, LEFT – CENTER – RIGHT – to determine the place where the header will be printed.
- You can type in your text, you can change the font, you can delete text (select text and press Delete key), you can insert date and / or the hour, you can fill in the filename, you can insert a page number, number of pages the file contains, and you can use the tab keys.
- Click OK when you are satisfied.
Repeat for the footer and press OK.
The tab sheet:
- You can choose: to print gridlines or not.
- The order of pages: Here you determine the order of several pages from the worksheet you are printing, down and sideways gives a different page numbering than sideways and down.
- Click Ok.
- Click to zoom in and out of the whole view.
- Click the ‘Margins’ (Margins) tab.
- You can see handles on the top and bottom and left and right margins.
You have margin-handles for each column, you can drag them to effectively change the width of the columns.
- You can also use “Page Setup”, to change the settings of the margins. Click on the ‘Margins’ tab, here you can directly input the desired dimensions. By clicking the ‘Center’ box, all data is horizontally and vertically centered.
Printing a worksheet
- Choose the appropriate printer in the box
- In ‘Print’ box, you can decide exactly what should be printed
- In the “Print Range” you can choose to print all or specific pages
- Determine the number of copies to print
- Press OK
Tear off a chart sheet
- Select the chart sheet
- Click on File option in the menu bar
- Select ‘Page Setup’
- Dialog box appears
- In the dialog box click on the ‘Chart’ tab
- Under ‘The format of the printed chart’ choose ‘Fit to page’
- Under ‘Print’ choose “black / white printing” or “color printing”
- Using the other tabs you can still change the page orientation, headers and footers and set margins
- From here you can also view the print preview
- Click ‘Print’
- Click OK
You've completed Lesson 8 START NEXT LESSON